The Museum of Islamic Ceramics in Zamalek occupies the ground and first floors in the palace of Prince Amr Ibrahim, which combines all prevailing styles of the Mohammad Ali Dynasty in its architectural and decorative style. These styles were influenced by the classical European style on the one hand and the Moroccan, Turkish, and Andalusian styles, in captivating harmony, on the other.
The Museum is comprised of a group of grand halls with the main one in the middle. This main hall has a central fountain and is covered with a splendid dome rising above ridges at the corners. The hall contains a great variety of plaster-framed stained glass works.
The Palace is generally used as the Al-Gezira Art Center and the Museum houses a great collection of ceramics from the different Islamic periods. The most important of these is the collection of 74 pieces exhibited in the Fatimid Hall, with the exception of a single piece from the Abbasid period.
Equally important are the halls containing the Turkish collection of 96 objects and the Egyptian collection of 39 Umayyad, Ayyubid, Mamluk, and Ottoman pieces.
The gallery contains the Syrian collection, while the Persian Collection Hall is situated on the upper floor. It contains Persian ceramics, as well as two recesses containing two Andalusian pieces, two Tunisian tiles, and two Iraqi bowls. In addition to the Museum of Islamic Ceramics, the Gezira Art Center in Zamalek includes:
1-Four galleries for rotating exhibits. The galleries in the basement are named after four trailblazing artists: Ahmed Sabri (1889-1955), Ragheb Ayyad (1892-1883), Al-Hussein Fawzi (1905-1996) and Kamal Khalifa (1926-1968).
2-A gallery for temporary exhibits (on the ground floor) named after the doyen of Egyptian contemporary ceramists Said al-Sadr (1909-1986).
3-Cinema and lecture theatre .
4-Open-air theatre in the park .
5-Information and Communication Center .
The German University in Cairo, GUC, is an Egyptian Private University founded by the presidential decree 27/2002, according to the law number 101/1992 and its executive regulations number 355/1996. GUC is established in cooperation with the State Universities of Ulm and
Stuttgart, under the patronage of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education, the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany, and supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Embassy in Cairo, the Arab/German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK), the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany, The State University of Tuebingen and The State University of Mannheim.
British Council Agouza is branch from UK's international organisation for educational and cultural relations and manages a wide range of activities covering the arts, science, technology and education.
Through their work they aim to build and develop long-term relationships with governments, organisations and people to provide mutual benefit and promote a wider knowledge of the UK and the English language. All their work is concerned with people and involves quality.
Al Manasterly palace is situated in the south western corner at the end of Al Roda island. It is the remaining part of a development
built by Hassan Fouad Al Manasterly Pasha 1851 A.D. His mosque where he is buried is situated near the palace. On the left side
stands the Nilometer that dates back to 861 A.D. in the reign of Caliph Al-Mutawakkil `Ala Allah Al Abbasi, bestowing more beauty and significance on the place.
The Nilometer was used since civilization began to measure the progress of the Nile thus predicting the resulting harvest and
taxation. With the Nile now ensnared behind Aswan's High Dam, the Nilometer serves as a reminder that for seven thousand years of
recorded history the annual floods had religiously synchronized the nation's entire psyche.
The first recorded evidence of the present Nilometer goes back to 715 AD during the reign of Omayad Caliph Sulayman Abdel Malek. Restored in 815 by Caliph Al Mamoun it toppled over during an exceptionally high flood in 850.
Rebuilt by Caliph Al Motawakil and subsequently restored by Fatimid Caliph Al Mostanssir in 1092 the Nilometer survived albeit in shambles up until the arrival of the French Expedition under Napoleon in 1798.
Out Of The Circle is an independent artistic, cultural and social initiative, supporting young contemporary Egyptian visual artists, launched in 2008 by Curator Elham Khattab
Since 2008, Out Of The Circle initiative organized different projects
The initiative is based on three applications :
1. Arts management and curating for young contemporary Egyptian artists
2. Arts education programs for children, youth and developement arts projects.
3. Out Of The Circle studio a space for all artists and for female artists to connect, work, inspire each others and work with international artists too.